11 October, 2011

Apple and Cinnamon Cake with Whole Wheat Flour and Oats

I found this recipe or should I say the recipe found me. I'd been baking a lot of cakes lately, and have been feeling guilty as it is not very healthy. I opened my browser to search for healthier options and found this recipe from Neha at From my heart on my google reader. I was like wow, the Universe does listen.


I followed the recipe as it is but with a small difference, that I used vegetable oil instead of butter. I actually was waiting this long, trying to get some unsalted butter, but I couldn't.


Preparation time: 20mins
Baking time: 40-45mins

Ingredients:
  • 1cup Oats
  • 3/4 cup Whole Wheat Flour
  • 1tsp Cinnamon powdered
  • 2tsp Baking powder
  • 1 tsp Baking soda
  • 1/4cup Butter/ Vegetable oil
  • 1 cup Sugar
  • 4 Egg whites
  • 1\4 cup Milk
  • 1\2 tsp Vanilla extract
  • 2 Apples
Procedure: 

1. Grease and  lightly flour a baking dish. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius

2. Powder the oats and keep aside.

3. Mix 1cup whole wheat flour, 1tsp cinnamon powder, 2tsp baking powder and 1tsp baking soda together and keep aside.


4. Mix 5tbsp Butter/ Vegetable Oil and sugar in a large mixing bowl, to it add 4 egg whites.


5. Add the flour mixture prepared in step 2, little by little, mixing thoroughly.


6. Add 1/4 cup Milk and mix well.


7. Add powdered oats to this mixture.


8. Peel and chop the apples. If you do it before and keep, the apples will start turning brown.


9. Add the two peeled and chopped apples, and 1tsp vanilla essence and mix well.


10. Pour the batter into the greased baking dish.


 11. Bake for 45 minutes or until a knife poked in the centre of the cake comes out clean. Cool for 5-6 minutes and then take it out of the baking dish.

It smelled awesome while it was baking, vanilla and cinnamon just filled the air. Unlike all purpose flour cakes this didn't rise up much, and I was actually scared that I screwed it up. Once I tasted it, my doubts were gone. It was actually good.
Ranjit, prefers eating tasty food more than healthy food, but he actually liked it. He said, it is pretty good for a wheat flour cake.

Thank you Neha for sharing the recipe!

I'm sending this to Bake with your heart

3 comments:

  1. i have so many of your recipes bookmarked.. and this is definitely in that list....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do try it... I've got to try veganising this one.

      Delete

Speak your mind !

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...