18 October, 2011

Dill and Potato Biscuits

These are the first biscuits that I've ever made. I was just browsing for recipes randomly and found this. The recipe is very simple and had good reviews , so I set out to give it a try.

I had recently bought dried Dill, just coz I have never seen or used this herb before, I wanted to give it a try. The biscuits came out good, they tasted somewhat like Aliva, but a much bland version. Next time I'll try different flavours. They are great for tea time snacks.




Adapted from Chef in you

Makes 15-20 Biscuits
Preparation time: 25mins
Baking time: 10-15mins

Ingredients I used:
  • 1cup All purpose flour/ Maida
  • 1tbsp Baking powder
  • Pinch of Salt
  • 1½  tbsp Butter
  • ½  tbsp dried Dill
  • 1large potato
  • 2tbsp Milk

Procedure:

1. Microwave the potato with little water for 3minutes, peel and mash it.


2. Preheat the oven, 230 degree Celsius. Sift 1cup flour, 1tbsp baking powder and a pinch salt together.

3. Mix 1½ tbsp butter and ½ tbsp dill in a bowl.


 4. Add the sifted flour mixture and mashed potatoes to the above, and mix well.


5. Add 2tbsp milk and knead into a soft pliable dough.


 6. Roll out the dough on a floured surface using a rolling pin until fairly thin.


7. Cut out rounds using a cutter. I didn't have a cutter so I used cap of a container.


8. Grease a baking dish, and place these rounds in it and bake for 10-15minutes or until risen and golden brown.

9. Make sure to store it in an air tight container, if you are not using them right away.

Notes:
1. I required 2tbsp of milk to knead, you can adjust the amount according to your need.
2. Baking time, might vary according to your oven and amount of biscuits you keep to bake.
3. Use fresh Dill if available.
4. You can try different flavourings, like jeera, ajwain, chilli flakes, cheese. I haven't tried it yet but will try soon and update. If you try before me, do let me know how it turned out.

Health and Nutrition:

Positives:
  • Potato and all purpose flour are the major sources of carbohydrates and contain no saturated fats.
  • Dill contains iron,  manganese, calcium and is rich in antioxidants.
  • The amount of butter (contains saturated fats, increases cholestrol) used is very little.
I'm sending this to Bake with your heart

26 comments:

  1. Wow..looks great..I am going to try this..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! This is a very different concept! And a great one at that! Slurp!

    And thanks for the lovely comment on my blog! :) I searched for days, no months to get a good template! :D
    -
    Kavi | Edible Entertainment

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely..this looks real delicious n sure to try this out,Bookmarked!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome... lovely n perfect biscuits,ur clicks r amazing,i wonder how all peoples from kerela r the excellent photographers?

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG! am drooling here...love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for the encouraging comments.

    @Divya, do let me know how the biscuits turned out.
    @ layaa... I'm sooo happy to get that compliment. I'm usually asked not to use the camera coz I'm that bad at photography, but past few weeks I've been taking extra effort in taking pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Anisha,

    Welcome to the blogger world. I am also a newbie but started in the month of may. :-) The recipe is awesome. Will try one day when I get dill over here.

    Cheers,
    Uma
    My Kitchen Experiments

    ReplyDelete
  8. Quite a gorgeous buiscuit.... and a lovely click indeed....

    Do feel free to drop by when time permits..

    Cheers
    Sandhya
    (Sandhya's Kitchen)

    ReplyDelete
  9. flavoury biscuits..gorgeous biscuits...Thanks a lot for visiting my blog and giving me the chance to visit yours.will come back for more bites as I'. following you too. Keep in touch

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  10. This look super addictive Anisha!!!! Bookmarked :) Happy to follow your awesome space & keep rocking gurl!!!!
    Prathima Rao
    Prats Corner

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just mouthwatering...looks so easy to prepare and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow Looks gorgeous and beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These sound good. I've never made a potato biscuit and I love the addition of the dill.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely idea! Never heard of this before. Biscuits look so crisp and tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Greetings. This is my first time on your blog, but you have a terrific one. I am always on the look out for new blogs, new ideas. I especially appreciate all the details you do. Great photos makes it seem like anyone can replicate the recipe!

    I am asking, would you please consider posting a few of your favorite recipes on erecipecards.com
    http://erecipecards.com/

    It is a tool for bloggers to see and to be seen. Your posts would fit in perfectly.

    in addition, all photos, recipe titles as well as your blog name would link directly back to your blog. Thus giving you new attention and potentially new readers.

    Or, if you just want to take a look at a lot of fellow food bloggers all in one place. A great learning experience to get ideas about how to establish your own blogging voice!

    We have a very easy to follow step by step photo guide to help you get started…
    http://erecipecards.com/content/?id=42


    Please take a look. If you have any ideas or questions, please do not hesitate to write

    Dave
    http://erecipecards.com/
    Contact@eRecipeCards.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you everyone for the comments, it is encouraging.

    Dave, I'd definetly love to post the recipes on erecipecards. I'm on the road now, as soon as I'm back home I'll get to work.

    ReplyDelete
  17. They have come out so beautiful and crispy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Really a great attempt with your first time biscuits!! Very different recipe. Interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  19. first time to ur blog...biscuits looks yummy.following uuuuu.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks fabulous and well clicked

    ReplyDelete
  21. First time here...
    biscuits look delectable

    U have a wonderful space , glad to follow u :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you Sushma, Bharathy, Tina, Shanthi and Aruna! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. first time here. Biscuits look perfect and yummy :)U have a wonderful space here ..

    ReplyDelete
  24. wow grt i am going to try it for sure..

    ReplyDelete

Speak your mind !

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...