11 October, 2011

Milk Cake

I have googled "Milk Cake" for over a year, and what I find is a kind of Indian sweet, sticky n gooey instead of the recipe of a sponge cake which has a flavour of milk. There is this bakery "Cake Walk", in Bangalore from where we get this cake. My hubby goes crazy over this cake. I'm more like a chocolate cake person so I really can't understand this addiction. Recently I found my BFF too likes this cake. So finally, I got down to try out my own recipe.

1st attempt: Since I'm not a fan of just a plain white cake, I added powdered Cinnamon, more than required. End result was a really good looking but bitter tasting cake. I had to throw it away. lesson learnt, never add too much Cinnamon.

2nd attempt: It was very close to the milk cake but not quite there. This time I did not have condensed milk so I just managed with normal milk and sugar.

3rd attempt: Exactly the same recipe as the 1st one minus the Cinnamon lead to success. Why on earth do I stray from my original plan ever?

I baked and it turned out so great that R has been dreaming about the cake and asking me to bake more. I've already baked it twice and I'm sure I'll be baking many more.


Milk Cake

Ingredients: 

1cup all purpose flour/ maida
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1tsp vanilla essence
1cup sweetened condensed milk
3/4cup unsalted butter (or  flavour less vegetable oil as I did not find unsalted butter)
3 eggs

Procedure:

1. Grease a 9 inch cake pan. Preheat the oven to 175 degree Celsius  Sift the 1cup flour and 1tsp baking powder together. This is just to aerate the flour to get a spongy cake.
Sifted flour with baking powder
2. Transfer the flour mix to a mixing bowl, and add 1/4 cup sugar and 1/4tsp salt.
Salt n Sugar
3. Add 3eggs, 3/4 cup unsalted butter/ vegetable oil to the above mixture and blend it well.
Egg and butter
4. Add 1 cup sweetened condensed milk and 1tsp vanilla essence and mix well using a wire whisk or you can use blender.
Condensed milk and essence
5. Pour the batter into the greased pan and bake at 175 degree Celsius for 30 minutes or till a wooden pick inserted to the centre comes out clean.
Batter
6. Enjoy the soft and spongy milk cake.

8 comments:

  1. I am always in look out of easy cakes like this. Will give a try very soon. :D

    Siri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Anisha,Thanks for ur lovely words.
    Your cake looks good. Onnil pizhachar munnu...so ur third attempt was a success.
    Do try my recipe since I have received many good comments about this cake from the people with whom I have shared it. I even baked for some people upon their request..Have some more photos will update them soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Suhaina... very true Onnil pizhachar munnu.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Siri... Do let me know how you liked the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking so yummy but Can we use white whole wheat flour instead of all purpose flour?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i haven't tried it... but i think it should work, just that it will be a bit denser... for that u could increase the amount of baking powder by half teaspoon...

      Delete
  7. CamilkDairy: Our mission is to reach those health conscious people who demand healthier, and superior quality Camel Milk and by products
    Camel Milk benefits for asthma

    ReplyDelete

Speak your mind !

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...