15 January, 2012

Carrot Cup Cakes


This cupcake recipe was recommended by a friend. I've baked numerous cakes but these were my first cupcakes and I'm glad I followed the recipe without experimenting too much, as these were absolutely loved by all who had them.

I baked these cupcakes last week and now I'm at my parents place in Madhya Pradesh. I'm thoroughly enjoying the winters after a long time and all the fresh winter produce. I almost forgot that, peas come in pods and not just in frozen plastic bags, the carrots are so red in winters instead of the orange coloured carrots we get in Kerala. It’s such a delight just to see such fresh winter vegetables.

I had to try these cupcakes with juicy red carrots but this time I replaced, all purpose flour with powdered oats and wheat flour (idea from Apple and Cinnamon Cake with Whole Wheat Flour and Oats), the result was great. I recommend this, if you want a healthier cupcake as all purpose flour has no nutrition at all. The flavour is slightly different but it is something no one will notice. My parents enjoyed the healthier version and said they wouldn't want to change anything about it. 


Adapted from Martha Stewart

Preparation time: 15mins
Baking time: 25 minutes
Makes 18 cupcakes

Ingredients I used:
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • ½ cup vegetable oil
  • ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • ¼ cup buttermilk
  • 1½ cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon baking soda
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 1½ cups grated carrots
  • ½ cup raisins
 Decorations 
  • Buttercream frosting 
  • Cherries
Procedure:

1. Preheat oven to 180 degree Celsius and line the muffin cups with cupcake liners. 

2. In a large mixing bowl add sugar, eggs, vegetable oil, vanilla extract, buttermilk and mix well until everything is combined well.


3. Mix sifted flour, cinnamon powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add three quarters of flour mixture to the sugar and egg mixture and mix well.


4. Add the grated carrots and raisins to the remaining flour mixture. Mix well till all the carrots and raisins are coated. Now stir this into the batter until it all combines.


5. Fill three quarters of the muffin cups with the batter and bake for 20-25 minutes at 180degree Celsius or until a tooth pick inserted in the centre comes out clean. 


6. Decorate it with Buttercream frosting and cherries when the cupcakes cool down or just enjoy it right away, it tastes great when it's warm.


Notes:
1. You can make instant buttermilk by adding 1tbsp Vinegar to 1cup milk. Remember you just need ¼ cup buttermilk for this recipe.
2. I baked 6 cupcakes at a time as my oven is small and each batch took around 22 minutes.
3. The crust of the cupcake tastes awesome when it's warm right out of the oven. I actually didn't taste it but my husband kept saying that so many times that I thought it should be mentioned.
4. I had some Buttercream, so I frosted the cupcakes but we feel they taste great even without frosting.
5. You can replace all purpose flour with half cup oats (powdered) and one cup wheat flour. I'll always bake this cake with wheat flour and oats from now on.

Health and Nutrition 
  • Carrot is very low in Saturated Fat and Cholesterol. It is also a good source of Thiamin, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Folate and Manganese, and a very good source of Dietary Fiber, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin K and Potassium.
  • Oats are are good source of dietary fiber. 
I'm sending this to Kid's delight  hosted by Veg Junction

Desserts
Valentines Day Special

Midweek Fiesta

51 comments:

  1. awesome cupcakes

    Aarthi
    http://yummytummy-aarthi.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely cupcakes dear.....i have not yet tried cupcakes.....wish to try it soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanx dear... Do try it, it's a great recipe!

      Delete
  3. fab..muffins.. raisins n carrots so much of flavor.. awesome clicks..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very delicious n yummy!!Perfectly made..

    Erivum Puliyum

    ReplyDelete
  5. fabulous cupcakes... looks so delicious... bookmarked..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanx dear... Do try it it's really yummy!

      Delete
  6. cute and delicious cup cakes ,nicely presented ..beautiful clicks!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Guess what! i was searching for the perfect carrot cake....and I am glad i found it here...Bookmarked!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a sure hit I'm sure you'd love it!

      Delete
  8. i jus love to use carrots in cakes...this one looks yummy...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love carrot cake & your mini cakes look so cute with the frosting and cherry topping! Beautiful pictures too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Looks super yumm! I'm going to try this with my 9 year old on Friday :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so sweet Patty, the two of you baking together, it'd be so much fun!

      Delete
  11. yummy cupcakes, i love carrots in cakes..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shobha, I recently saw your eggless carrot cake and will try them soon.

      Delete
  12. came here from patty's .. Love the mini carrot cakes :)
    Should try them out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing clicks sweetheart!
    I am on the go to try out some muffins really soon and see u have boosted me with such ultra beautiful cuppy cakes...thanks a ton girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your encouraging comment... I guess the boosting up is mutual!

      Delete
  14. They look so yum,.nd cute,nd healthy too,.:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. so cute! and seems healthy too. do you have a replacement in the recipe for eggs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried anything yet but I'm considering baking an eggless version. If I succeed I'll let you know.

      Delete
  16. look so healthy & YUM! i love the addition of raisins.. even i have not used whole peas in pod since the convenience of frozen! they taste thousand times better but who's gonna shell them! :) enjoy ur time there

    ReplyDelete
  17. First time here - and you got my attention with those delicious cupcakes :) Nice blog Anisha and I am your new follower :) Please do visit my blog and join my culinary journey too _ would love to see you there :) cheers, priya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanx Priya for stopping by... I've been following you for a while now.

      Delete
  18. Cupcakes look absolutely divine.. There is a place in Cochin (Bread WOrld) and they have the best carrot cakes in the country. Your cakes will give them a run for their money..
    My event- Valentines Day Special

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely combination of muffins ...looks so moist and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love carrot cake .Must try your suggestion using oats and wheat flour

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks lovely! bookmarked :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. wow..lovely cup cakes..yummy..

    ReplyDelete
  23. These look so cute and delicious! What a wonderful blog you have :)

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru
    Latest: Elvis Oreo Black Bottom Cupcakes

    ReplyDelete
  24. my daughter is a big fan of carrots and this would really please her..they look so cute and perfect colour. thanks for linking with my event..

    ReplyDelete
  25. Awe..this cake is so cute! If you are willing to, you can link this & other sweet & romantic recipes with my ''Valentine's Day Event :) Your clicks are tempting too!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Looks so delicious.Lovely clicks too... Thanks for sharing
    Midweek Fiesta

    ReplyDelete
  27. Anisha,
    Thanks 4 visiting my blog..wow..I can see mind blowing recipes here ...
    Cupcakes look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  28. ahhh....ANisha.....Woow...am drooling... this is excellent dear...n lovely pictures should say...long way to go dear...luv u..

    ReplyDelete

Speak your mind !

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...