30 January, 2012

Ellu unda/ Til ke laddu/ Sesame seed balls


Mummy made these laddus during Makar Sankranti. All I did was take pictures while trying hard not to eat them all up. I love this set up, where my mum is doing all the cooking and I just tail her around with the camera and bug her to take exact measurements for my blog posts. We had plans to make different versions of Til ke laddu but couldn't due to the lack of time, so it's on my to-do list when I go back home next time.



Recipe Source: Mummy
Preparation Time: 20 mins
Cooking Time: 3-4 minutes
Makes 20 large laddus

Ingredients:
  • 2cups Black Sesame seeds
  • 2cups Jaggery
  • 2cups Grated Coconut
  • Few Cashew nuts for garnish
Procedure:

1. Dry roast the sesame seeds in a pan. Remove it from the hot pan and let it cool.


 2. Take the sesame seeds in a grinders jar and pulse it once or twice. Keep it aside.


3. Grind coconut and jaggery.


4. Add the coconut and jaggery mixture to the ground sesame seeds. Mix well and roll into balls.


5.  Garnish with cashew nuts.


Notes:
1. It is a good idea to wash and sun dry the sesame seeds once. I was surprised to find so much dirt on it.   Mum always washes and stores all this.
2. Do not grind the sesame into paste; just grind it for like 15-20 seconds.
3. While rolling them into balls it might get sticky and messy, you might want to use your gloves.
4.  This has short shelf life. It lasted for a week without refrigeration but again it was winters. I couldn't save them to do my shelf life experiment.

Health and Nutrition:
  • Sesame seeds are a good source of Calcium, Iron, Magnesium and Phosphorus and a very good source of Copper and Manganese. They are high in energy and contain many health benefiting nutrients, minerals, antioxidants and vitamins that are essential for wellness.
  • Jaggery, also known as medicinal sugar as it contains sucrose and glucose and a good amount of vitamins and minerals. It contains good amounts of  Magnesium which helps to relax muscles and provides relief from fatigue. It is also a good source of Potassium with low amounts of sodium which helps control blood pressure and reduces water retention. 
  • Overall a very healthy and guilt free snack.
Desserts
Kids Delight
Linking to Kid's Delight hosted by Edible Entertainment

Midweek Fiesta
Anyone can cook
Valentines Day Special
Just 4 Fun

23 comments:

  1. i loved the way you have made those laddoos.. they look very cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i 2 have a plan to prepare this soon....my all time fav....superb

    ReplyDelete
  3. BLACK COLOUR..MY FAV..LADDU LOOKS YUMM

    ReplyDelete
  4. perfect ellu unda...i love the ones with white sesame too...thanks for linking with my event

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh these look decadent... ellu is so good for you too

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks a lot for visiting my blog and posting your valuable comments there.
    Sesame seed balls are looking so delicious and amazing. Excellent clicks.

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very easy to remember ingredients all 2 cups n they look very cute balls, great job...Anisha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow, they look so yummy, i love these a lot, its been so long I had these, clicks are tempting me a lot dear..will surely try this out..btw thank you for all the encouraging words at my space :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks great and healthy as well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ah, I've always seen the brownish til ke laddu, so when I first saw the pictures I was wondering if you put black food coloring in it!!
    and hey, thanks for your comments on my blog dear :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love these sesame laddus a lot...perfect and looks so yummy!!
    very tempting clicks dear!!

    Spicy Treats
    OnGoing Event ~ Dish It Out-Brinjal n Garlic

    ReplyDelete
  12. simply superb...i'm drooling over here.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My all time favorite. Looks so nice... Happy to follow u dear

    ReplyDelete
  14. my grandma makes this with black sesame seeds. Looks nice and thanks for sharing the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a great idea and so simple! Love the photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. this is a staple for Sankranthi at my place :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. haha! I love doing that too! :D Clicking pics while mum's cooking! Initially, she used to get irritated. Would you believe, now she actually arranges the spices & other ingredients neatly & calls me to take pictures? :D
    I loved your clicks! They look beautiful! Thanks so much for linking this dish to Kid's Delight - Something Sweet. :) Would love to have more entries from you! :D
    -
    Kavi (Edible Entertainment

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True... But by the time mum got the hang of it, and started waiting for me to take pictures... it was time for me to come back. :(

      Delete
  18. Thank you everyone for the encouraging comments!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks so delicious!!In Sri Lanka we have sesame balls too,but we dont add grated coconut.Its a new idea....Anyway few months ago I tried making this at home.Tried to grind jaggary using the grinder & that made my grinder jar broken...:) After that,I didnt try to make it at home.I should have slice jaggary before grind.A big mistake done by me....:)
    Anyway thanks for sharing....

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanx a lot dear for linking it to my event, sure this is a wonderful and healthy entry :)

    Join me for the Just "4" Fun event :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh lovely! that looks yumm.. i tried my hands at making laddus once.. (ages ago!!) and failed miserably... so never attempt it again..

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very healthy sweet,looks great. Thank you for linking with Any One Can Cook :)

    ReplyDelete

Speak your mind !

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...