16 May, 2012

Raw Mango Pickle (Kerala Style)



This is the most common mango pickle made all over in Kerala. My Mum had taught me how to make it once and it turned out really good. I prefer mango pickle in mustard oil, mustard seeds and large triangular mango pieces with part of the pulp stuck to the seeds (just writing about is making my mouth water, it's been ages since I have had that). In Kerala people find it weird to cook anything in mustard oil and the mere smell of the pickle I find so mouth-watering, will drive people away.

My husband and in laws are crazy about the kerala style mango pickle. So I knew I have to make it often coz they don't like the store bought one. I had the memory of getting the pickle right the first time, so I had this over confidence that I know how to make it, I was forgetting that I got it right with my Mum by my side.  After a failed attempt, I called her up and she explained the procedure and I just followed it. It tasted great but after a week all we could taste was sourness from the mango. I realised no matter what recipe you follow, you need to have an idea about the sourness of the mangoes you are using if you want to make big batches of this pickle.

Now after making it many times, I'm comfortable enough to say that I can make good mango pickle that is loved by all. Since making small batches of it won't serve the purpose in my house, the key is to make it a week before I plan to serve it. I also rub some salt onto the cut mango pieces to get the sour juices out and it also softens the mango and don't really need to cook it.



Recipe Source: Vazhayila

Makes 1kg
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes

Ingredients I used:

1kg Raw Mango
2 whole Garlic pods (enough to get 2tbsp of chopped garlic)
2 inch piece of Ginger
4 Green Chillies
5-6 sprigs of Curry Leaves
1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
7-8 tbsp Red Chilli powder
1/4tsp Asafoetida/ Hing/ Kayam
2tsp Mustard seeds
1tsp Fenugreek/ Methi/ Uluva seeds
1tbsp Vinegar (optional)
4tbsp + 1tbsp Sesame oil
Salt to taste
1cup water

Procedure:

1. Wash, dry and chop the mango into small pieces. This is the most time consuming part of the recipe. I do not like using the electric chopper as the mango pieces don't look uniform with it. So I choose to pain stakingly chop them with hand.


2. Add 1tsp salt to the chopped mango pieces and toss them well. Keep it aside for at least 6 hours maximum 24 hours. Mean while peel and finely chop the ginger, garlic and green chillies.


3. After 6 hours drain the water from the mango pieces using a colander.


4. Mix turmeric and red chilli powder in water to make a paste.


5. Heat the oil in a kadai/ wok, add mustard seeds and wait till all of it has spluttered. Add fenugreek seeds and let them splutter too, then add curry leaves and stir for few seconds.


6. Add the chopped green chillies, ginger and garlic and saute till the raw smell has gone.


7. Now add the chilli powder and turmeric paste and let it cook for a minute or two. Turn off the heat and add asafoetida and mix well and add drained cut mango pieces. Mix well till all the mango pieces are coated. Now is the time to add vinegar if you want to.


8. Allow it to cool completely before canning it into sterilized glass bottles.


9. I always top the pickle with a tbsp of oil in the jar which I won't be using right away, before I keep it away in the refrigerator.



Notes:
1. If you make a small amount for instant use, you might need to add only half of chilly powder as you will be using up all the pickle in a short period of time.
2. If you intend to make a large amounts and store, it's better to add the amount of chilly powder mentioned, though it seems a lot as it will be balanced by the sour juices of the mangoes over a week's time.
3. Unlike in a curry, you will need to add a lot of salt too. It's not healthy but it's tasty.
4. Some people completely omit ginger and garlic but I personally feel it enhances the flavour of the pickle.If you want to make it sattvic just omit garlic.
5. The crispness of the mango pieces will depend on how long the mangoes were left with the salt.
6. According to your preference increase or decrease the number of hours. I like the mangoes mushy but my family prefers the crunch so I keep it just for 6 hours.
7. The pictures were taken when I made the pickle with 2kg mangoes but the recipe given is for 1kg of mangoes, so don't go by the amounts in the pictures. :)

Health and Nutrition
  • Raw mangoes are good source of Dietary fibre, Vitamin C, Vitamin A and Vitamin B6.
  • High salt content makes this food not so healthy and it is not advisable for people with hyper tension and high blood pressure. 
 EP Series Herbs and Spices event started by Erivum Puliyum

Great Indian Summer Pickles & Preserves Fest



Serve it- Preserved Hosted by Krithi's Kitchen and Oh taste n See





30 comments:

  1. Omg, cant take my eyes from ur fingerlicking,super tangy pickle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ammoooooo ithu kandal engane kothivarathirikkum...Yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too droolworthy!!!!
    Prathima Rao
    Prats Corner

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just looking at that mango pickle makes my mouth water. You have captured it beautifully as usual! I did not know mangoes were so versatile until a couple of years back and look forward to each and every recipe that includes mangoes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tongue tickling, we don't add garlic, shud try your way next time..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely pics....all time fav pickle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow....
    mouthwatering pickle :)
    stunning clicks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So tempting pickle and awesome pics..

    ReplyDelete
  9. its looking finger licking good! Great pictures! Love mango pickle!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Irresistible flavors da..kothiyavunnu..Superb pics too!!
    You can link this to EP Series -Ginger or Peppercorns,link is below..

    Join me(Erivum Puliyum)
    in the following ongoing events-
    Show me Your HITS -Iron Rich Foods
    EP Series-Ginger or Pepper Corns

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely version of mango pickle with cute clicks

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow!amazing clicks..and lovely recipe.....really nice

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have only one word.. okay may be two - LIP SMACKING :).. looks very tempting. I've never tried adding ginger garlic to it.. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. thanks for your comments on my blog anisha. glad to have discovered your space.

    your mango pickle is looking great. this is the way one of our keralite neighbours would make the mango pickle and share it with us also.

    ReplyDelete
  15. pickle looks so good. finger licking pickle

    ReplyDelete
  16. excellent looking pickle...loved the recipe and the pictures both....thanks for linking to the event

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow...mouthwatering pickle. Thanks for sending it to: 'Serve it -Preserved', and for your lovely comments at OhTastenSee.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow..that's an new way of pickling to me...pickle looks mouth watering....

    ReplyDelete
  19. wow...what a mouthwatering pickle...loved those pics !!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. My mouth is watering right now..visit me at http://megdeliciousadventures.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mouth watering......... I am drooling. loved your clicks.
    http://purevegetarianbites.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks delicious; we dont add ginger or garlic to this pickle but it sounds equally delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  23. mouthwatering i would say !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Just looking at that mango pickles makes my mouth water. Tongue tickling, we don't add garlic, shud try your way next time..

    ReplyDelete
  25. ayooo... kothi varuneeeee

    ReplyDelete
  26. Very nice recipe. Tried it out today .Look and smell too very inviting. Thanks for the same

    ReplyDelete

Speak your mind !

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...