06 June, 2012

Homemade Peanut Butter

If you have been following this blog for a while, you might have noticed that I'm pretty slow on updating the blog. Now a days I cook more often than I blog and blogging all the recipes will take ages at this pace. So I thought of an easier way to share the recipes that I love making over and over again. I'm updating the links of these recipes on Flavours facebook page in the album Tried and Tested Recipes from other blogs. Check it out right now, it's just a few but I'll keep updating as I try new ones. 

You can like the Flavours Facebook page to get updates. I wonder why Facebook has a Like button for Pages and Subscribe button for People. Shouldn't it be the other way around, so if we like someone, we can like their profile and if we want updates from a blog, we can subscribe to its FB Page. Wouldn't it be simple that way? Anyways the point is "like" works as "subscribe".


Photography update: I'm thankful for all the appreciation from you guys for the pictures, it means a lot and it motivates me to work harder to get it right. In pursuit of photographing better pictures, I joined in an exercise with Aparana of My Diverse Kitchen. Check it out if you are interested in taking better pictures. :)

All right now, let's talk about Peanut butter. I didn't know it was so easy to make peanut butter at home until a few weeks back. I was surprised and super excited to have made my own peanut butter; I finished it in one day. If you are a peanut butter lover, do yourself a favour double or triple the recipe. :)



Makes 3/4th cup
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 2-3 minutes

Ingredients:  
  • 1cup Peanuts (shelled)
  • 1tsp oil (refer notes)
  • Salt to taste
Procedure:
1. Dry roast the peanuts for a few minutes. Let it cool.


2. Put it in the blender and blend away till you get smooth peanut butter. Simple huh! But since most of us don't have super blenders, we should blend and stop every once in a while when the blender heats up.


 3. Add salt.

4. And blend again.

5. Add oil.

6. See it has started to look like peanut butter now. Though it looks grainy the texture was smooth. You can test the seasoning at this point. Don't overdo the licking like I did, it tasted so good that I couldn't stop.


7. Store it an airtight container under refrigeration.


8. Enjoy with some freshly made whole wheat bread..


Notes:
1. I don't think it's really necessary to use oil. It will depend on the oil content in the peanuts you are using. Use the oil at the last stage, if you feel the mixture needs lubrication to blend further without getting stuck.
2. You can use any kind of oil. Best would be to use peanut oil. I used vegetable oil since I didn't have peanut oil at hand.
3. Some people remove the skin of peanuts. If you would like to do that extra work, please remove the skin after roasting.
4. You could use roasted unsalted store bought peanuts and skip the first step. Best would be to get peanuts in shell coz that way you can be sure that they are really fresh.
5. If you would like to sweeten it, add sweetener. Play around, adding flavours to get the kind of peanut butter you like. :)
6. For chunky peanut butter, just keep 1/4 cup of peanuts aside and just pulse it once in the blender and add to the rest of the peanut butter. 

Health and Nutrition
  • Homemade Peanut butter is a good source of monounsaturated fats, which may reduce your risk of heart disease. Peanuts and peanut butter are a good source of magnesium, folate, fiber, protein and vitamins B3 and E.
  • Homemade peanut butter is more nutritious and healthier option than store bought as it doesn’t contain high amounts of sweeteners and preservatives.




70 comments:

  1. awww awesome. kudos to you for making such a wonderful thing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy and fresh homemade peanut butter...
    Shabbu's Tasty Kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have this delicious butter so many times and spoilt my m-i-l's blenders lol you really need a powerful blender for it and if it's powerful all you need is just peanut butter, not even the oil because with the power the oil gets squeezed out of the nuts and forms a really delicious and creamy nut butter. just thinking about it makes me faint. you are right, always make quadruple quantities cos it's going to disappear really fast. never again buying store bought peanut butter ever!!! :) lovely pictures as always

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i meant all you need is peanuts... not peanut butter.wrote in such hurried excitement!!

      Delete
    2. I completely agree Praseena... a powerful blender would make life easier on us peanut butter lovers. I mentioned in the notes that oil is optional. I added it coz I was worried about my belnder. ;)

      Delete
    3. ...and ya I'm never gonna buy peanut butter again. :)

      Delete
    4. yes, you definitely need the oil so that the blender won't conk off. :)

      Delete
  4. this is awesome. You always come up with unique recipes. Keep up your good work dear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooo making peanut butter really IS simple!! I think next time I'm going to get one of those 'super blenders' from India. For things like this, and to grind other masalas. My plastic one here has given up.

    Good tips in notes, and nice pictures :)

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Giveaway # 1 - Cupcake Carrier - Bake n' Take!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nisha... and you should get a good blender and try this you will never buy peanut butter again... :)

      Delete
  6. I never thought making peanut butter is so easy...will try this sometime....thank u for sharing....love the pictures...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea it's very easy.... Do give it try!

      Delete
  7. Love the pics- you are getting quite professional now! We have been making our own butters for a while now, in a Magimix, which is powerful enough not to nees extra oil. My husband makes really good butters out of cashews, almonds, pecans, sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds. Give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarojni Didi.... i'm flattered...I will definetly try it... Next on my list was almond but the list just got longer. :)

      Delete
  8. i am not much fond of peanut butter..but just dropped for your lovely pics n presentation...to note, u have made it perfectly n it got the smooth creamy texture...looks too good!!
    Spicy Treats

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a ton Sangeetha... I'm soooo happy to hear that from you.

      Delete
  9. lovely creamy texture..yummy peanut butter,lovely pics as well!!
    Liked your fb page too,do drop by & like my page too if u like,Anisha..:-)
    Ongoing Events at(Erivum Puliyum)-
    1. The Kerala Kitchen(June'12)

    2.EP Series-Basil OR Cardamom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie... I'm off to ur FB page... I'll try participating in the events too...

      Delete
  10. Simply love this creamy texture, beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds so easy, will try this out..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do try it... I'm sure you'll love it.

      Delete
  12. Bookmarking this..Its my all time fav.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will never buy peanut butter after you try this Tina...

      Delete
  13. wow...never thought making peanut butter can be that simple...very nice clicks dear !!!n bookmarked it !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sonali... even I was surprised it's so easy...

      Delete
  14. wow.. making peanut butter looks so easy... Thanks for sharing the recipe... Bookmarked...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amina do try it... you'll love it...

      Delete
  15. looks so easy to prepare and delicious...lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is deliciousness in a jar. so simple and so yum!! Loved the catchy pictures as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Anisha the peanut butter looks very easy to prepare and delicious. I am yournew follower do visit my space in ur free time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Supriya... it is really easy... now off to your space!

      Delete
  18. Sembra facile da preparare, per me è molto buono! buona giornata...ciao

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is easy... you must try it!

      Delete
  19. Home made peanut butter looks creamy and perfect You have nice blog.


    Favorite recipes event: Cakes

    ReplyDelete
  20. Never knew this could be made at home.Looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try it. It's simple and yummy...

      Delete
  21. Thanks for visiting my page Anisha. You have a wonderful space with awesome pics. I'm glad I found your space.
    I love peanut butter, but never tried making it at home...will give a shot soon..the pics as I said before are gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kaveri... I'm sure once you try it you won't be buying peanut butter anymore. :)

      Delete
  22. Just saw that you've lived in Jabalpur, I too lived there for a period of six years, during my childhood. Went to Christ Church Girl's Higher Secondary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow this is so awesome... I did my whole schooling from Christ Church..

      Delete
  23. Never tried it at home .Bookmarked

    ReplyDelete
  24. lovely homemade peanut butter I like that we can avoid the sugar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is just the basic, we can avoid sweetner and add more flavours as we like..

      Delete
  25. Yum. I add a tsp or two of ghee to my peanut or almond butter.
    Nice blog and even nice pictures. Inspiring indeed :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sangeeta... isn't it great that we can control what goes into our peanut butter... I'm yet to make almond butter. Still indulging in peanut butter..

      Delete
  26. looks great, wud try this.. seems easy :D
    great pics buddy !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dear... it is really a childs play...

      Delete
  27. I add a bit of honey to mine. THAT hits the spot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too would like to try adding a sweetner. Since I'm Vegan I might try some local vegan honey... Probably I'll have to make it on my own... :)

      Delete
  28. I add a bit of honey to mine. THAT hits the spot.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Anisha ...i just love peanut butter a lot never knew it was this easy ..thanks for sharing ..the snaps are really tempting and very well taken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even I was surprised to know that this is all it takes... so simple.

      Delete
  30. Awesome! Didn't know it was simple cooking. Home made is lots and lots better than store bought, need not worry about the ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Anisha :) Made this today with the addition of honey... LOVED it! :) Here is the post... linked u in :)

    http://nansyumyums.blogspot.in/2013/02/how-to-make-peanut-butter.html

    Thanks for this recipe! btw.. finally finally made the wholewheat bread too... with a few tweaks... not sure if u remember me mailing u abt it a few months back :) Finally succeeded... will post it soon. For now, you can see a picture of it in my peanut butter post :) Thanks for the simple recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad u tried it... isn't it just awesome... looking forward to ur bread post too... I'm glad it finally worked for u... :)

      Delete
  32. talk about discovering simple things!! Loved the recipe and your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Which mixer grinder did you use??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have used Inaslsa... Not very powerful... took loads of long breaks... Now I use Butterfly... I love tht machine... it very powerful n got my work done in 3 short breaks.

      Delete

Speak your mind !

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...