24 June, 2012

Mint Roasted Cauliflower and Potatoes


Do you like roasted vegetables? I love them... Roasting just enhances the flavours of the vegetables. I can never get enough of roasted potatoes and cauliflowers. I usually just roast the potatoes and cauliflowers with some garlic infused olive oil and sprinkle some dried rosemary or thyme. It is so simple, delicious and the best way to get my husband to eat vegetables. If you are person who hates cauliflower, try having a roasted cauliflower, I bet you will get converted from a cauliflower hater to a cauliflower lover.

We absolutely love roasted cauliflower. My Mom used to make this simple fried cauliflower seasoned with salt and garam masala, which was just divine. She usually keeps us away from fried stuff but this one used to be the special, we take with us while travelling as it would stay good for long time without refrigeration. I do not like frying at all, no not coz it's unhealthy. I like to eat fried food a lot but deep frying food means standing near the hot stove for a long time and also I just find it hard to dispose of the all the oil once used. So I always prefer to let my oven do the work for me. :)

I saw Morrocan Mint Roasted Vegetables from 101 Cookbooks, I knew I had to try it... and I did a while back. Just never got around to posting the recipe. It's full of flavours and though they taste good even after cooling down, I would highly recommend having is right out of the oven. The whole point of roasting for me is to bite into that warm crispy cauliflower or potato. If you like it crisp, enjoy it before it cools down. I wonder if re heating would help, haven't tried it yet.


Recipe Source: 101 Cookbooks
Serves 8
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 20 minutes

Ingredients I used:
  • 1kg of Cauliflower and Potatoes
  • 3tbsp Fresh Mint leaves
  • 1inch Piece of Ginger
  • 1tsp Salt
  • 1tsp Red Chilli Flakes
  • 1tsp Cumin seeds
  • 2tsp Ground Cumin
  • 1inch Cinnamon
  • 8tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • A squeeze of fresh lime

Procedure:

1. Cut the Cauliflower into florets and potatoes into wedges. 


2. Soak cauliflower florets in saline water to get it cleaned thoroughly and the potatoes in plain water to prevent browning. Peel the ginger and roughly chop them.


3. Place cumin seeds, cinnamon, chilli flakes and salt in the mortar and pestle. Pound till the cumin seeds and cinnamon break. 


4. Use a mortar and pestle to bruise the mint leaves and to crush the ginger to release the flavours.

 
5. Drain the potatoes and cauliflower. Preheat the oven to 220 degrees Celsius.

6. Place all the crushed spices, herbs and the ground cumin in a small bowl. Pour extra virgin olive oil over it and mix well. 


7. Place the potatoes and cauliflower in a large bowl and pour the herbed and spiced olive oil over it. Mix well until all the pieces are evenly coated.


8. Place them on a baking sheet lined with aluminium foil (just makes it easier to clean up) and bake for 20 minutes until everything is through. I turned them around after 10 minutes for even baking.


9. Squeeze a lime on top and serve straight out of the oven. It doesn't stay crispy after it cools. 


Notes:
1. The original recipe uses dried mint, ground ginger and ground cinnamon. I did not have these hence used fresh and whole alternatives. 
2. I used potatoes and cauliflower; you can use any locally available vegetables like squashes, carrots and beans that are suitable for roasting.
3. I usually preheat the oven with the baking tray and some oil. Then I add the vegetables to the piping hot oil to get the vegetables really crisp.
4. I recently read that soaking the potatoes in ice cold water for ten minutes before roasting, helps get a more crispier and fluffier roasted potato. I haven't tried it yet but I trust the source. I'll update my experience when I try it. 



Health and Nutrition: 
  • Cauliflowers are a good source of Protein, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, Magnesium and Phosphorus, and a very good source of Dietary Fiber, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Vitamin B6, Folate, Pantothenic Acid, Potassium and Manganese.
  • Potato is also a good source of Vitamin C, Vitamin B6, Potassium and Manganese.

71 comments:

  1. wow....superb n lovely clicks too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks yummy and fresh. I like the varvanta (used for crushing the mint)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Supriya... the stone mortar and pestle is kind of common here... we have roadside vendors selling it everywhere around here... :)

      Delete
  3. Wat a guilt free and super flavourful veggies,love to have it anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. loved this!!! I can't wait to try this..lovely recipe and beautiful clicks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Anjana. Do let me know how you liked it.

      Delete
  5. Healthy and flavourful...

    ReplyDelete
  6. very beautiful pics. nice roasted gobi

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I'm gonna give roasted cauliflower a try... only because you said so! I hate cauliflower in anything except Pav Bhaji! :D

    And once again, clean presentation!! What camera do you own! The photographs are just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you should totally try it... Coz I've seen people who run away from cauliflower curries actually loving roasted cauliflower.

      Thank you for the appreciation I'll pass it on to my awesome camera... It's Nikon D90... great camera i'm still learning how to use it well.. :)

      Delete
  8. wow, look at that picture. am bookmarking this recipe. it looks gorgeous. it's nicer to use fresh ingredients especially when you have them :) nothing like it. anothing rocking post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh and I love the tips for getting them more crispy without the extra use of oil. I always love that nice crunch :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much Praseena... I'd love to know how you like it whenever you try it... :)

      Delete
  9. fabulous recipe clicks are super

    ReplyDelete
  10. i too make it almost the same way, love this kind of roasted vegs...guilt free n yummy side dish/snack...lovely clicks as well!
    Spicy Treats

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sangeetha you are right gulit free pleasure.. thank you for the appreciation for the pics... means a lot when it's from you!

      Delete
  11. looks so flavorful and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. No wonder this must taste yum, nice addition of freshly ground masala

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea the fresh does enhance the flavours...

      Delete
  13. Wow this sounds and looks so amazing! I can't wait to give it a try!! (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to know how you liked it...

      Delete
  14. Very flavorful,love these roasted veggies..

    ReplyDelete
  15. nice presentation and beautiful clicks. i usually prefer roasted cauliflower and fried potatoes ;-) just cannot like roasted potatoes.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dassana... I'm surprised that you don't like roasted potatoes... I actually love them but maybe it's also coz of the ease of making them over fried ones...

      Delete
  16. Delicious and flavorful recipe...nice one..
    Shabbu's Tasty Kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Anisha, thanks for stopping by at The Secret Formula, - and I'm so glad you did because I've discovered your lovely blog! Completely love the roasted Gobhi aloo with mint - will surely try this out - and very kicked to see that so many of your dishes look very much like the yummy Ghar ka Khana that I adore - including the aloo-mutter subji! Great photography, too! Will be a regular here. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much... Do let me know how it turned put after you try this... :)

      Delete
  18. Hi Anisha,roasted gbhi aloo with mint looks so ymu, must be a unique flavour with mint in it...havent tried this way! Looks delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anamika... you should try it... it tastes as good as it looks... :)

      Delete
  19. Hi Anisha !! i've tried gobi manchurian ...aloo gobi...and all of them were gravy kind.never have tried this combination with mint leaves , as usual the pictures look beautiful dear , you have very good photography skills !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try it Deepa... it's really good...I personally find the taste of roasted cauliflower much better than what we get in the gravies.

      Thanks a ton for the compliment... means a lot coming from you!

      Delete
  20. hi anisha, your spice mix looks so yummy..bookmarked with thanks dear.
    this sure adds a unique flavor to my cauliflower. have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
  21. lovely..frst time here...glad to follow ...neat and lovely space...

    visit me,
    http://subhieskitchen.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yum yum yum!!!!! The cauliflower dish looks AH-Mazing!!! I loved the recipe…drooling over the picture. Loved the presentation!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. i love roasted veggies too, and this looks like a delish rendition. Bet fresh mint was a good twist to the whole thing. This is my first visit to your space and loving it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yes the fresh mint was really good... it took the rosted veggies to whole new level. I'm glad to know that you are loving the blog... Thank you!

      Delete
  24. looks grt...
    thank u for the wheat flour clarification.. yes we will definitely get teh pastry wheat flour.. yet to try it though..
    where in kerala are u ??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just let me know any time you try it. I'm in Ernakulam outskirts in Perumbavoor. It's like 40kms from the Kochi town.

      Delete
  25. Super yummy!!!! I make a similar flavored roasted veg which i posted long back..But this version looks even more tastier with the way the spices are used..Gonna try it out soon!!
    Prathima Rao
    Prats Corner

    ReplyDelete
  26. Never tried oven roasted cauliflower..sounds too good.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Pretty pictures and a lovely roasted dish...I love cauliflowers and this version sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  28. healthy n crispy roast. yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Amazing pictures, looks sooooo yummy. Will try this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  30. wow!glad to see that
    you follow traditional methods for making spices.
    looks yummy! I will try this :)thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sundari... do let me know how you liked the recipe... :)

      Delete

Speak your mind !

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...