26 July, 2012

Grissini- Italian Bread Sticks

 

Grissini, is an Italian Bread sticks. They are usually served as appetizers but for me it's a great snack. I made these along with Tomato Sambal and I am totally hooked on to this. I kept snacking on it all day long... the Sambal and bread sticks did taste good together. It also a great snack on its own.

Frankly, I tried two recipes in a day for blog hop coz I didn't have time to mess up and start all over. Grissini was my back up option, just in case I mess up the Sambal. Needless to say, both came out perfect and we all loved it. I had been postponing this post coz I was not very happy with the pictures. I was planning on baking them again; to take better pictures but it just doesn't seem to be happening cause of the gloomy weather.

Ordering in or eating out, just seem to be too gross after watching the News about the unhygienic conditions in which restaurant kitchen operates in Kerala. It took a youngsters life, for the authorities to look into this serious issue. My mom always said eating out is so unhygienic but my brain couldn't comprehend, the fact that why would anyone not cook under clean conditions especially the big restaurants. Now that I know and understand this dark reality about restaurants here, I manage to push myself to cook even on lazy days like these.


After all this gloomy sad stuff, let me tell you something good. Renu who blogs at It's my Space... Spice shared the Fabulous Blog Ribbon with me. She is my first friend from the blogosphere; she has been a very inspiring friend. Thanks a ton Renu for the award. Now I'm passing this ribbon to five bloggers who inspire me.

Deepa who just started blogging at A Spicy Affair. She just started blogging this week, so not many recipes yet... But I know she is a great cook and I am eagerly waiting for more of her recipes.
Sarojini Didi @ Yogi Vegetarian. This blog has been an inspiration for me to cook Sattvic food. There are so many recipes to try from.
Nisha who blogs at Spusht. I totally love the way she writes and shares her experiences in and out of the Kitchen... It is a pleasure to read her blog and the pictures on her blog are a treat to the eyes
Shobha who blogs at Good Food.  Her blog has been an inspiration for me to keep sticking to the healthier options. She has a great collection of healthy and very creative recipes.
Sangeetha who blogs at Spicy Treats. She has a great collection of recipes, traditional Indian recipes to awesome baked goodies. She blogs so regularly despite having issues with her health... I'm truly inspired by her commitment.

Please share the award with the bloggers that inspire you or the blogs that you love. :)

Now that we are all cheered up with the award ceremony lets get down and cook...


Recipe adapted from Experiments,Emotions,Experiences with food

Serves: 4-6
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Ideal Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Baking time: 10-15 minutes

Ingredients:
  • 1¾ cups Whole Wheat Flour
  • ½ cup Warm Water
  • 1tsp Sugar
  • 2tsp Active Dry Yeast
  • 2tbsp Olive Oil
  • 1tsp Dried Basil 
  • 1tsp Salt
Procedure:

1. In a large bowl mix half cup of the whole wheat flour, sugar, warm water and sprinkle yeast over it. Keep it aside for 5minutes or until you see the mixture is starting to froth up.


2. Stir in remaining flour, olive oil, dried basil and salt. Knead to form a smooth elastic ball.


3. Place the dough in a greased bowl and cover with a damp towel or plastic wrap, until it doubles in size. It takes about an hour for it to double.


4. Divide the dough into four.


5. Try rolling the dough into a rectangle. Cut the rectangle lengthwise into thin strips. Place the strips on a greased baking sheet. Repeat the process with the remaining balls. Cover the baking sheet to let the strips to puff up for about 30 minutes.


6. 10 minutes after the strips are cut preheat the oven to 200 degree Celsius. Bake the strips for about 10- 15 minutes. You will see the edges browning when it is done.


7. Let it cool completely before serving. 


Notes:

1. The original recipe uses a mix of all purpose flour and whole wheat flour.
2. This is just the basic recipe, so go ahead and add any kind of herbs or spices you like to the dough and enjoy even a more flavorful Grissini. This time I tried basil and I like it... Next time I want to try adding Ajawin. I'm sure it will taste good with the Indian touch.
3. You can sprinkle sesame seeds over the strips if you like. 
4. To make it look even prettier twist the strips after sprinkling the sesame seeds.
5. You can bake just a part of the dough and store the rest of the dough under refrigeration for later use. Just make sure you keep the dough out well in advance to bring it to room temperature when it's time for you to bake.

Health and Nutrition

Whole-wheat flour is robust, full-flavored flour containing vitamins, minerals and protein. Whole-wheat flour is more nutritious than refined white flour, although white flour may, in a process called food fortification, have some micronutrients lost in processing added back to the white flour (required by law in some jurisdictions). Fortified white wheat flour does not, however, contain the macronutrients of the wheat's bran and germ (especially fibre and protein) like whole-wheat flour does. Whole wheat is a good source of calcium, iron, fibre and other minerals like selenium.

39 comments:

  1. Congratulations to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Anisha!!! And these breadsticks are mighty tempting!!! Fabulous clicks, like always :)
    Prathima Rao
    Prats Corner

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your award Anisha... the bread sticks look delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! Bread sticks looks so inviting. Nice step wise pics

    ReplyDelete
  5. i just read the food poisoning story.. even here we have many many restaurants. but we never eat out. i make everything at home. we know in what conditions the food is cooked in most of the eateries, shacks etc. not to sound to gross... my friends even found a cockroach in a garlic naan served at the beach shacks here :-0 so we completely avoid eating out.

    the sticks are looking good... i plan to make bread sticks soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so hard for me not to eat out... coz I was travelling all over India for the 2years and we totally depended on restaurants... Since we are staying home we had help to cook so it was easy... Now that she is gone... I'm just getting acquainted to cooking all three meals everyday... After this news I've cooked every single meal with no short cuts or ordering in... A bad news did something good to me I guess :)

      Waiting to check out your recipe for bread sticks...

      Delete
  6. Good one. Breadsticks are great options to munch on. Been meaning to make some, especially for my hungry lion who comes home super hungry in evening.

    Didn't know about that news. My mom also used to be against eating out, but I did and still do love eating out. And at least now after marriage ghar mein roz khaana paka paka ke pak gayi hoon; ready to eat anywhere else!

    Thanks for the mention and your kind words, darlin! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should make these it's easy and it tastes great and best part it is healthy too...

      Mein bhi roz khaana paka ke pak gayi hoon... actually it's only been 2months since I started cooking all the meals but I already hate spending so much time in Kitchen...

      You are most welcome dear... :)

      Delete
  7. Thanks Anisha for sharing the award :) and congrats to u !! this recipe looks awesome i'm waiting for my oven to get fixed...i'll try this !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deepa... waiting to hear from u about ur baking experiences after your oven gets fixed... :)

      Delete
  8. Crunchy looking sticks... Congrats dear.... Am bookmarking this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vimitha... I would love to hear from you after you try it... :)

      Delete
  9. wow... bread sticks look delicious... perfect... you always come up with wonderful recipes... :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats dear!bread sticks looks so crisp,beautiful and delicious.will surely try this soon:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anjana... I would love to know how it turned out whenever u bake them.

      Delete
  11. The death of that boy is so sad, there was a small eatery very close to my mom's house in Kerala and I've seen some terrible things there, I wouldn't even go near that place. For several reasons we have now stopped eating out except when travelling and it has helped us a lot. Congrats on the award and the bread sticks look awesome, I wouldn't be able to stop eating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That news really has shook up everyone in Kerala... I guess unless it's absolutely necessary no one wants to eat out... Now a days I'm all for cooking even if I have to drag myself into the kitchen... It's unbelievable the stuff they showed on TV here...

      Thanks and ya it's kind of hard to stop eating these bread sticks..

      Delete
  12. They look awesome and lovely clicks..

    ReplyDelete
  13. As usual, another amazing post with such wonderful pictures! I have to try this out some time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you praseena... you should try it... It's healthy and it tastes really good.

      Delete
  14. bread sticks are looking very yumm. nice one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. finally u posted it... grt..... the photos are great... and by chnace yday i saw a video on bread sticks and had made a mental note... now i know where to get the recipe:)
    i am glad i have anew friend in teh blogosphere!! thanks for that lovely mention:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. lovely recipe and beautiful clicks as usual dear :) bread sticks look so perfect n yum. Congrats on ur well deserved award and thanx a lot for sharing it with me...very happy about the kind words abt me..i feel on top of the world :)...if I can inspire someone talented like you a little, I would be the happiest :) Thanks Anisha :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. U are so kind Shobha... U don't inspire me little... u inspire me a Lot... Thank you!

      Delete
  17. Mindblowing grissin, beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete
  18. pictures are real cool; nice recipe and congrats on the award

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats on your award.. and the pics are wonderful..
    That was a shocking news .. hopefully foodhandling and preparing conditions in restaurants will change for the better in the future..
    Bread sticks look awesome..:))
    Reva

    ReplyDelete

Speak your mind !

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...