14 July, 2012

Tomato Sambal- a Spicy Tangy Sauce

I updated my header with a new logo and none of you have noticed it or maybe you guys forgot to mention it in your comments. I was kind of looking forward for a response from you all. After all the hard work I made my husband do to create the header. ;) Well before you give all the credit to him, let me tell you that, I came up with that logo one afternoon while working on creating a logo for my yoga blog which has been under construction forever. I really brainstormed and doodled for a few months to come up with something like that. Alright, I don't wanna push you to praise me but seriously what do you think of the changes in the blog header. If you don't like anything please let me know, I will see what I can do.



I forgot to tell you guys that Renu, who blogs at Renu's food digest, passed on the Versatile blogger award to me. Thanks a ton Renu, for the award and the appreciation for the blog. It keeps me motivated to keep blogging. Renu just started blogging recently and she already has a great collection of recipes. I've already bookmarked a few recipes. She says that she is lazy but when you look through the number of recipes posted, in such a short span of time, I wonder what will she call me coz I barely post once a week. Do check out her blog for some yummy, delicious and quick recipes. Since I have received the award before, I'm just linking in that post here, if anyone is interested to read random stuff about me.

Blog hop is an event started by Radhika of Tickling Palates. When I started blogging, I wanted to join in for this event but couldn't. Now I'm finally joining in for blog hop and I'm excited. Somehow I didn't receive the email, that I was included in this month's blog hop. I found out that I was one of the blog hoppers when I started receiving email updates from other blog hoppers. I confirmed with Radhika and found out I just have a day to cook and post. It is not easy for me to do that, now you know why I post only once a week. I'm not saying that I'm not lazy but I'm also very slow in doing things. Anyways, I love the idea of trying recipes from other blogs and blogging about my experience. It is a great way to find new blogs, meet new bloggers and also learn new recipes. So I did not want to miss out or be late for my very first blog hop. So I bucked up and started typing even before cooking. :)


My very first blog hop partner is Sweatha, who blogs at Experiments, Emotions and Experiences with Food. The blog is true to its name, with loads of recipes and reviews about food. The great thing was that it is vegan friendly or vegan sensitive blog. I spent almost an hour exploring the blog. It is a treasure house of great recipes from around the globe. I bookmarked many recipes and came out wiser with knowledge about world cuisine.

I tried this Tomato Sambal recipe. I chose this coz I've never had Sambal before, infact I always thought sambal is a sauce used to make Indonesian curries. I'll just quote Sweatha here, to explain what sambal is, for the benefit of people who don't know. "Sambals are fiery sauces or dips used as condiments popular in Indonesia, Philippines and Sri Lanka. These are chilli based usually and this one is adapted from Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian and is supposed to be a family recipe from Sri Lanka."

You must have heard of Sambal Oelek, which is more popular in western countries. Oelek means grinding or pounding. Oelek is a Dutch spelling which in modern Indonesian spelling has become simply ulek; both have the same pronunciation. Ulek is Indonesian special stoneware derived from common village basalt stone kitchenware still ubiquitous in kitchens, particularly in Java. (Source: Wikipedia)

I love the combination of sweet, spicy and tangy flavours, this recipe had it perfectly balanced. If you have never had this before, let me tell you it tastes like homemade indian version of tomato sauce.

The breadsticks you see in the pictures are Grissini- Italian bread sticks. They are really great, I love snacking on them. The recipe again is from Sweatha's blog. Now you see why I love blog hop. :)


Recipe source: Experiments,Emotions,Experiences with food

Serves 4-6
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes

Ingredients:
  • 5 medium sized Ripe Red Tomatoes
  • 2 medium sized Onions
  • 8 cloves of Garlic
  • 2 sprigs of Curry leaves
  • 3 inch Cinnamon Stick
  • 2tsp red Chilly powder
  • 3tsp Sugar
  • 2tbsp Oil
  • 2tbsp Lemon juice
  • Salt to taste
  • Coriander leaves for garnish

Procedure:

1. Slice ripe tomatoes, layer them in a plate and sprinkle them with salt and red chilly powder. The salt will get all the juices out and the tomatoes will cook faster.


2. Peel and thinly slice the onions. Peel and chop half of the garlic cloves.


3. Heat the oil in a deep pan on medium high, add the unpeeled garlic and fry till dark brown.


4. Add in curry leaves and cinnamon sticks. Saute till they sizzle and turn aromatic.


5. Add in the onions and saute till golden brown.


6. Add the tomatoes and flaked garlic, stir well and cook till they start to soften. Lower the heat and cook till the dish appears like a pulpy sauce and the tomatoes are completely soft.


7. Stir in the sugar and lemon juice. Adjust the seasoning. Remove the cinnamon stick and unpeeled garlic before serving.


8. Serve as a dip for breadsticks or chips or even like a side dish for rice or roti.


Notes

1. The garlic flavour is not as prominent as I expected it to be. So if you want it more garlicky, add a few more cloves of garlic. I like it just the way it is.
2. Next time I'll try using whole dried red chillies and grind it in the pestle and mortar to give it a more rustic fiery taste.

Check out what's cooking in the kitchen of  blog hoppers.


Health and Nutrition

Tomatoes are excellent sources of antioxidants, dietary fiber, minerals and vitamins. Because of their all-round qualities, dieticians and nutritionists, often recommend them to be included in cholesterol controlling and weight reduction programs. Lycopene, a flavonoid antioxidant, is the unique phytochemical present in the tomatoes. Red varieties are especially concentrated in this antioxidant. Together with carotenoids, it has the ability to protect cells and other structures in the body from harmful oxygen free radicals. Studies have shown that lycopene prevents skin damage from ultra-violet (UV) rays and offers protection from skin cancer.

Linking this to Only Vegan hosted at Cooks Joy
Only Vegan


62 comments:

  1. Hi Anisha ,

    Sambal LOOOOks Gorgeous !!!!!

    Neat presentation Anisha :))

    Keep on Dear...

    www.southindiafoodrecipes.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great like non-veg dishes.. Frankly speaking I was off from blogosphere for atleast 2 -3 weeks just now I came back to see your recipe that peeped in my dashboard, before I could read your recipe the first thing I noticed was your header!! It looks awesome Anisha :) Great work and good recipe dear :)
    ~Today's Recipe~
    Hot Honey Chicken (Indian Style) & Update regarding 'The Master Chef Contest'

    -You Too Can Cook Indian Food Recipes

    ReplyDelete
  3. header looks good.. great work.. neat presentation..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks PT... I'm so happy you like the header... :)

      Delete
  4. Delicious.. love your new header.. nice work!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Az... glad you like the header.. :)

      Delete
  5. Some awesome clicks you got in here.. and the sambal looks inviting

    ReplyDelete
  6. yummilicious and droolworthy recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just now noticed your new header,then only I read the post..Good work,Anisha..Looks elegant & nicee..loved it!!
    Tomato sambal looks delish & Inviting clicks as always!!

    Ongoing Events of Erivum Puliyum @ Palakkad Chamayal-Fenugreek Leaves OR Green Chillies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Julie... glad you like the header!

      Delete
  8. this is such a life saver dish. we often make it to go with almost anything. the clicks are awesome. love the sliced tomato one the most.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sayantani. I guess this is gonna be a life saver for me too from now on. it's quick it's simple and I always have tomatoes and onions on hand.

      I'm so happy you like the pics :)

      Delete
  9. Nice and tangy sambhal..love to try this without onions:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anjana... If you do try without onions i would be waiting to try your recipe... it's always good to know the sattvic version of the recipes I like.

      Delete
  10. Wow Anisha the sambal looks yummyyyyyyyy...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Slurp,mouthwatering here,simply inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. last time when i visited i did not see the header. i have a suggestion... the 'f' looks a more roundish... if it is a little elongated it will look better. just a suggestion...

    the tomato sambal recipe is so easy and looks delicious too. reminds me of tomato chutney :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dassana for the suggestion... I actually was looking for roundish fonts to kind of go with the logo... I don't know if I can change only the f but i'll see if I get a better font.

      Ya it's kind of like tomato chutney...

      Delete
  13. The new header looks nice Anisha...the chef figure is really cute..i too have same suggestion, F doesn't look very clear...btw, sambal looks delicious, so spicy n tangy...excellent clicks too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Shobha...:)

      I will look for a better font to write flavours. Thanks for telling me that. It's not easy to spot the not so good stuff when you are working on it for a long time. I'm glad you guys pointed that out... hope i'll find a better font soon... :)

      Delete
  14. Hearty Thanks for trying out the sambal and breadsticks.Hope you enjoyed the nice combo. The clicks are GREAT.:P
    It might be a coincidence, I was planning and scheduling my sambal oelek post today.
    Hats off for trying two dishes within a day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweatha... I love the combo of the sambal and breadsticks... I will be making them often now.

      Trust me if i had the energy I wanted to bake those coconut almond muffins too... I have so many recipes to try out from your blog... :)

      Delete
  15. gee gal- the header change hasn't gone unnoticed. kudos to you and of course to your hubby too; gives a summery, refreshing touch to the space. The spicy sambal has my undivided attention :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Priya... I'm so happy you like the header..

      Delete
  16. What a beautiful blog love your space and such awesome clicks !!

    ReplyDelete
  17. lovely logo i loved it on FB itself i dont remember if i mentioned it though.Nice sambal.blog hop is fun no..i enjoy it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Princy... Oh I did see your like on FB... Most people following on blogger are not there on FB... I kind of find it hard to keep both in sync... :)

      Delete
  18. Hi... haven't visited most blogs for days... just came across yours.. your header really looks awesome... the thing which first struck me were the beautiful pics arranged in a film print style... it looks fantastic... your chef logo also looks very cute... And coming to the recipe, it looks delicious as always... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Amina... I'm so happy you like the new header... :)

      Delete
  19. Gorgeous clicks and yummy dish. Thx for linking.

    Vardhini
    Event: Only Vegan
    Event: Zucchini

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my god.. the clicks and out of the world.. I just could not take my eyes off... once i got to the end, I realized that I was so engrosed I forgot to check the recipe itself... great effort

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a ton Roshni... your words are a great motivation for me to do even better... :)

      Delete
  21. nice posting. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome... thanks for stopping to write :)

      Delete
  22. droolworthy tomato based sauce...Very attractive pics...Glad to find you..will come back for more bites.

    ReplyDelete
  23. anisha... i love ur header..and ur recipe an dur pics..
    sharing this award with you..
    http://itsmyspice.blogspot.com/2012/07/avocado-fig-smoothie-and-award_20.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Renu for the award... I'm glad u like the header... :)

      Delete
  24. First time in ur blog...even though I didn't see ur previous header this one looks so good.
    loved ur blog and pics...are u based in u.k ?? Ur blog add shows co.uk that's why I asked..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a ton for your appreciation...

      I'm in India... I guess the ads are displayed according to the preferences of the person logged in.

      Delete
  25. First time here Anisha, Love your clicks.... Glad to join you...


    -Mythreyi
    Yum! Yum! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I absolutely love the new header and logo, sorry for not mentioning that earlier:)...the sambal looks yumm, the picture of caramelized onions looks so tempting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Poornima... I'm happy to hear that you like the header... I kinda need re assurance to know that what I did is actually liked... :)

      Delete
  27. i had completely missed that paragraph where u wrote abt me.. nio idea how.... !!!!! anyways .. i am lazy.. at times... u know i get fed up cooking 3 meals a day plus some extra that i do...so i have those days when i do nothing but sit in front of my laptop reading blogs, writing posts or watching videos!!! i neglect everything else then!!1 lol...

    ReplyDelete
  28. anisha... i love ur header..and ur recipe an dur pics.. SeaFooD Recipes

    ReplyDelete

Speak your mind !

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...