12 July, 2012

Wheat Jaggery Cake flavoured with Cardamom



My first experiment to bake with wheat flour instead of all purpose flour/white flour was the carrot cup cakes, I substituted the all purpose flour with half wheat flour and half powdered oats. I was quite pleased with the results. I wanted to bake a cake with jaggery as it is healthier than refined white sugar. I saw this cake at Spicy Chilly, (I totally adore, that blog). After a few months I finally got down to bake it. My parents and siblings were in Kerala and they loved the cake and were surprised when I told them it is wheat flour and jaggery cake.


The very first time I baked this cake, it was a disaster- no matter how long I baked and it felt like its uncooked. The taste was good but it was begging for the cardamom flavour. I decided to try it again with cardamom and also did not over mix which was the reason why I messed up the first time. It worked great and since then I have baked this cake many times. I've experimented by adding half powdered oats but was not very happy with the texture, so now I stick to wheat flour.

This is a simple recipe; the trick is not to over mix. It is tempting to whisk everything together but that won't help the cake here, so be careful about that. Once you get it right there is no looking back.


Recipe Source: Spicy Chilly

Serves 6-8
Preparation time: 10minutes
Baking time: 40 minutes

Ingredients:
  • 2cups Whole wheat flour
  • 1cup Jaggery ( grated loosely packed)
  • 1cup Almond Milk
  • ½cup Vegetable oil
  • ½tsp Baking powder
  • ½tsp Baking soda 
  • ½tsp Vanilla extract (optional)
  • ¾tsp Cardamom powder   

Procedure:

1. Grease a 6 inch Bundt cake pan and preheat the oven to 180 degree Celsius.

2. Sift the wheat flour with cardamom powder, baking powder, baking soda to aerate the flour and to evenly distribute all ingredients.


3. Add jaggery and mix twice or thrice.


 4. Add almond milk, oil and vanilla essence and mix just enough to bring the batter together. It will be lumpy and you will be tempted to mix more but don't.


5. Spoon the batter into the baking dish and bake at 180 degree Celsius for 40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Let it cool completely before unmolding.


Notes:
1. Use a Bundt pan, I haven't baked this in any other pan and really doubt if the recipe is suitable to be baked in a regular baking dish.
2. Do not over mix, I can't stress that enough.

Health and Nutrition:
  • Definitely a healthier cake than the regular cakes.
  • Whole-wheat flour is robust, full-flavoured flour containing vitamins, minerals and protein. Whole-wheat flour is more nutritious than refined white flour, although white flour may, in a process called food fortification, have some micronutrients lost in processing added back to the white flour (required by law in some jurisdictions). Fortified white wheat flour does not, however, contain the macronutrients of the wheat's bran and germ (especially fibre and protein) like whole-wheat flour does. Whole wheat is a good source of calcium, iron, fibre, and other minerals like selenium.
  • Jaggery is a natural and viable alternative for Sugar. It is the safest and the purest form of sugar and the process of obtaining jaggery does not involve any chemicals. It is full of proteins; a mineral salt not present in refined sugar and vitamins and is extremely nutritious. The benefits of jaggery include its ability to cleanse your body, act as a digestive agent.
  • Cardamom is a good source of minerals like potassium, calcium, and magnesium. Potassium in an important component of cell and body fluids that helps control heart rate and blood pressure. Copper is required in the production of red blood cells. It is also an excellent source of manganese and iron. Manganese is a co-factor for the enzyme superoxide dismutase, which is a very powerful free radical scavenger. Iron is required for red blood cell formation. This exotic spice contains many plant derived chemical compounds that are known to have anti-oxidant, disease preventing and health promoting properties.
I'm linking this to I love baking started by Tickling Palates
Linking this to Only Vegan hosted at Cooks Joy

Bakfest hosted by Pumpkin farm


54 comments:

  1. looks perfect.. nice presentation..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish to get a loaf rite now,very impressive cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Priya you should give this one a try... it's really good.

      Delete
  3. beautiful recipe. so healthy and looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yummy n healthy cake....beautiful recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wonderful pics and recipe as always Anisha..will surely try this one.

    - Meg's Delicious Adventures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Meg... do try it and please let me know how it turned out... :)

      Delete
  6. anisha.. i would love to try this.. oh.. dont have a bundt pan yet.. so will hve to wait.. but it is a tempting cake.. and ur pics make me want it more..
    when u say wheat flour .. have u used atta or teh whole wheat flour specially available for baking?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Renu you should try it... I used regular whole wheat flour used for chappathi's. Do let me know how you liked it whenever you try it.

      Delete
  7. Looks absolutely devine.. love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Healthy & super yummy!!!!
    Prathima Rao
    Prats Corner

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very healthy and delicious..never tried making cake with jaggary.lovely colour.bookmarked this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anjana... Please let me know how you liked the cake whenever you try it.

      Delete
  10. super soft n delicious looking loaf with all healthy stuffs...love it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sangeetha... you should try it!

      Delete
  11. Hi Anisha ,

    looks AAAwesome !!!

    and neat step by step presentation :))

    Keep on Dear...

    www.southindiafoodrecipes.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
  12. i can feel the aroma of the cake here, loved adding jaggery and the fact its wheat flour:) must have tasted heaven alle Anisha :) bookmarked it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I kind of feel safe about my health when I bake with wheat flour... It does taste great and the flavours will keep playing with your brain trying to relate it to some adai n all...

      Delete
  13. Very delicious & tempting cake using jaggery & wheat flour,you always make the recipes healthy...loved the bake & clicks,Anisha!!

    Ongoing Events of Erivum Puliyum @ Palakkad Chamayal-Fenugreek Leaves OR Green Chillies

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have made this cake too, several times actually and we love it! Ur right its soo important not to over mix the batter. Pica are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Poornima... I'm glad to know that you also bake this cake it is a treasured recipe :)

      Delete
  15. Wow, that looks so good and healthy too! I love to bake with cardamom; will definitely try this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarojani Didi... please let me know how you liked the cake when you try it!

      Delete
  16. yum! I've never seen jaggery in a cake...lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amritha, if you like jaggery you should try this... It tastes really different from regular cakes!

      Delete
  17. what a coincidence. i had also baked a similar cake with semolina, wheat flour and palm jaggery with bananas. it was yum... i liked the cake as well as the tea mugs behind

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you post the recipe already... i would like to try your version too.. Thanks for the tea mugs... when I bought it I didn't like them much but it looks good for pictures :)

      Delete
  18. Wow, love the Indian flavors and the beautiful texture..

    ReplyDelete
  19. As far as my memory serves me, first time I baked with whole wheat flour was with carrot cake too! My mother once sent me chocolate chip cookies that had jaggery in them instead of sugar. I was a little mad because I am not a gur fan, but they tasted pretty good to me. And definitely gur is better than the more processed sugar, so its nice to have such a healthy cake to indulge in! I like the addition of cardamom in it too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too have baked chocolate cookies with gur... My husband who prefers baked goodies with all refined stuff couldn't really tell that it was gur that sweetened the cookies... I like baking with unrefined ingredients so that I can indulge myself. :)

      Delete
  20. Looks tasty and healthy too. Thx for linking. If interested you can also link it to bake fest. (http://pumpkinfarmfood.blogspot.com/2012/06/bake-fest-is-back-on-pumpkin-farm.html)

    Vardhini
    Event: Only Vegan
    Event: Zucchini

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vardhini.. linked it to the Bake Fest!

      Delete
  21. i somehow love the concept of replacing sugar with Jaggery ...its healthy and tasty as well. Photos are really tempting will give it a try for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try it Deepa... will be waiting to hear from you... 'm so ha[ppy you like the pics... :)

      Delete
  22. How did I miss this!!
    Hugs!!! :D for trying out a simple cake and making it so classic here and also for all the love! :)

    ah blame it on my scandinavian trip in july for missing out the post! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I'm glad u got time to read this...

      Delete

Speak your mind !

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...