20 November, 2012

Mathanga Payar Erisseri/ Pumpkin and Beans in Coconut Based Gravy


This break in blogging was not at all expected, it just went on due to technical difficulties which I faced been away from home without a laptop. Finally when I got back, I lost all my pictures which I had taken along with me in a flash drive but nothing to worry, there is a back up on my friends laptop. I can't expect her to send it online to me, as there is a lot of sorting out to do. Those posts will have to wait till I meet her again.

This dish (exclusively this recipe) is my most favourite dish ever. Even I was surprised to find that out a year back. I don't really remember having this while I was growing up but in the recent past every time I visit my parents, I have been asking mom to make this without fail. She has explained to me numerous times, how simple it is to make this dish but I have always been hesitant to try it out. One fine day, the craving overtook the fear of messing up my favourite dish. With a refresher course on the recipe from Mom, over the phone, I set out to make it and I was glad I did... Since then I have been really excited to share this with you guys.

Now finally, I had the opportunity to take pictures and get my darling husbands green flag to post it on the blog. So here's the recipe for my most favourite dish.



Recipe Source: Mummy

Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes (using a pressure cooker)
Serves 4

Ingredients:

1st round of Pressure Cooking
  • ½ cup (100gms) Red beans or Black eyed beans
  • 1 cup water
2nd round of Pressure Cooking
  • 500 gms Pumpkin
  • 1 medium Tomato
  • 2 Green Chillies
  • 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
  • 1/4 tsp Turmeric
  • Salt to taste
  • ¼ cup water
For Grinding
  • ½ cup Grated Coconut
  • 1 tsp Cumin seeds
  • 3Shallots (Small onions/ Sambar Onions)
  • 1 Small Garlic Clove (if big just use half)
  • ¼ cup water
For Tempering
  • 2tsp coconut oil
  • 1tsp Mustard seeds
  • 2 Sprigs of Curry leaves
  • 2-3 Dried Red Chillies
  • 2 Shallots Sliced
  • 1tbsp of finely grated coconut
Procedure:

1. Wash the Beans and let them drain in a colander. 
2. Peel and chop the Pumpkin.



3. Chop tomato and slit green chillies.



4. Heat a pan and dry roast the beans on medium heat, until they splutter.



5. Immediately move them onto another dish to keep them from burning.



6. Place the beans in the pressure cooker after they have cooled and add 1 cup water to it. 



7. Pressure cook the beans for 1 whistle. Switch off the flame and wait for 5-6 minutes before opening the Cooker. 


8. While the beans are cooking, prepare the ingredients for grinding- grate coconut and peel the shallots and garlic. 



9. Once all the pressure from the cooker is released, open it and add cubed pumpkin, tomato and Green chillies to it.



10. Add the chilly powder, turmeric powder, salt and water to it. Pressure cook for 1 whistle. 



11. Grind the 3 shallots, 1 small clove of garlic and the cumin seeds with coconut. Add water as required, it should be ground to a coarse consistency.



12. Once the pressure is released open the pressure cooker. 



13. Add the ground coconut paste. Then mash the pumpkin pieces with the back of a spoon, bring it to boil and turn of the heat.



14. Slice the shallots and keep all the ingredients for tempering ready.



15. Heat coconut oil in a pan, add mustard seeds and once they stop spluttering, add sliced shallots.



16. Add grated coconut if using, and keep stirring till they turn golden brown. Then add red chillies and curry leaves stir for a few minutes.



12. Place the cooked curry in a serving dish and pour the tempering over it. Enjoy the delicious erisseri with boiled rice. Yummm...



Notes:
1. You can vary the ratio of beans to pumpkin according to your preference.
2. I actually forgot to save some coconut for tempering, that is why it's not shown in the pictures but it's highly recommended.
3. Most ingredients photographed are double the recipe.

Health and Nutrition
  • Pumpkin is low calorie vegetable rich in dietary fiber. It is a storehouse of many anti-oxidant vitamins such as vitamin-A, vitamin-C and vitamin-E. It is also rich source of minerals like copper, calcium, potassium and phosphorus.
  • Beans are naturally low in total fat, contain no saturated fat or cholesterol, and provide important nutrients such as fiber, protein, calcium, iron, folic acid and potassium. Beans actually have more fiber than most whole grain foods. Beans have proven to provide many health benefits that include lowering cholesterol and preventing spikes in blood sugar. This makes beans even more appealing for diabetics, those suffering from hypoglycaemia and a resistance to insulin. Furthermore, the soluble fiber in beans helps reduce your risk of coronary disease and heart attacks. The red beans or black beans are richer in anti-oxidants too.
  • Coconut meat is high in fiber, Coconut meat is high in the trace mineral manganese. Manganese helps you metabolize both fat and protein. It also supports both the immune and nervous systems and promotes stable blood sugar levels. Manganese also helps your body use other nutrients such as iron, thiamine and vitamin E. Coconut meat provides a significant amount of two other minerals: potassium and copper. While most plant foods contain very little saturated fat, coconut meat contains a large amount of saturated fat. While most plant foods contain very little saturated fat, coconut meat contains a large amount, with 23.8 g per cup. However, unlike other saturated fats, which are long chain fatty acids, most of the fat in coconut is a medium chain fatty acid. Medium chain fatty acids are broken down much faster than long chain fatty acids, so they do not contribute to high cholesterol, as long chain fatty acids do. In fact, according to a recent study, the fat in coconut may possibly help to lower bad cholesterol levels and increase good cholesterol levels.



28 comments:

  1. Glad to see you back,Anisha..yummy erissery,always a faorite with rice..Nice explaination with detailed pics!!
    Join my ongoing EP events-Asafoetida OR Fennel seeds @ Divya's Culinary Journey

    ReplyDelete
  2. slurp...looks very tempting...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love mathanga erisseri...I make it very often...I dont dry roast the red beans before pressure cooking...nice tip...i think i should start doing that to enhance the flavor of the beans :) I dont add tomato either. Your recipe looks interesting..I will try your way soon as pumpkins are in season now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom says its tow different flavours when u soak and cook the beans vs roast n cook. I prefer roasting plus I don't have to think in advance to cook this. I've had it without tomato its a very subtle difference but difference that I can make out so I try putting it...

      I would love to get feedback from you when u try this. :)

      Delete
  4. Well done, a very nice recipe. And a special hug for dictating the benefits of the vegetables at the end.. Am sure this must be very flavourful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the special hug Nupur... :)

      Delete
  5. wow... curry looks delicious and flavourful... bookmarked!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amina do let me know how u liked the recipe whenever u try it... :)

      Delete
  6. Know what this is my favorite too ...tried this only couple of times after marriage coz my hubby and my son do not like pumpkin ...but when i feel like celebrating myself i cook this ...nothing like it when you have hot rice and hot erissery ....nothing can compare it. I would just take a bowl full of this curry and simply dig in the whole thing in a minute ..don't even need rice or anything with this. Yummmmmmmy !!! your post reminded me that its been a yr that i tasted this. wish i was there when you cooked this ...the pictures look very very perfect and tempting ...when i see your post it really inspires me to cook. lots and lots of love to you dear and god bless

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow... we have way too much in common... I too eat it in a bowl just like that no rice or anything needed... :)My husband hates pumpkin... but he loves this curry... he actually chose this over a non-veg dish n I was surprised... So I'm glad that I can make it often.

      Thank you so much, your words are always inspiring.... :)

      Delete
  7. Welcome back dear... The curry looks so yummy.. Comfort food...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to see you back Anisha, erissery is in my to do list.Such an authentic dish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Priya... you must try it, its delicious... :)

      Delete
  9. woo this is one of my fav kerala dish..looks too good

    Join my ongoing event Fast & Quick Healthy Dishes Event

    http://lifewithspices.blogspot.in/2012/11/fast-quick-healthy-dishes-event.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, such a beautiful food with step wise guide for a total novice like me, in making Erisseri (but a HUGE fan of Kerala vegetarian food though :) And my hubby has been asking me to try making this particular dish.. I am going to try ur recipe Anisha, wait for my feedback! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nandita... I'm glad the stepwise pics will be useful... will be waiting for your feedback. :)

      Delete
  11. I never heard about this dish before but it looks delicious :-) Next time ill visit Kerala ill give it a try

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try it Marco its really delicious... Visit me nxt time u r in Kerala I'll make it for u... :)

      Delete
  12. Beautiful illustrations that accompany this recipe makes the reader try it out at once. Very few blogs explain recipes so well.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i had this (or something close to this) at a Mallu friend's place & loved it.. the coconut gravy is simply out of this world! Love this dish :D
    Awesome presentation Anisha!

    ReplyDelete
  14. healthy n yumy recipe
    Iam back to blogging...Plz..visit 1ce dear...
    Visit my new
    face book page
    http://www.facebook.com/Mahaslovelyhome?ref=hl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maha... Glad to know u are back to blogging, will check out your page for sure.

      Delete

Speak your mind !

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...